Skip to main content

Deen On Brown

The community kitchen run by Our Daily Bread serves hundreds of meals each day at the First Baptist Church in Athens, GA.  A rough guesstimate of the audience, is about 75% black to white.  You don't see any Asians, Indians, or Latinos.  Maybe there's an occasional Latino visitor, but rarely... if ever.  Yesterday wasn't any different.  The same crowd shuffles in only this time there were sacks of food to be taken away.

As things in my own life have gotten better, they still haven't gotten to the point where I'm satisfied.  Though, I am very happy with my current living situation once I pay the rent there isn't a whole lot leftover and I tend to run out of money before the next pay day.  So, I will still visit Our Daily Bread as a supplemental food source.

I didn't examine the contents of the sack except for to remove any canned fruit and other sugary items for which I do not care.  However, it wasn't until the next morning I realized what had come in the sack.


This high quality tortilla chip, a favorite Mexican snack, or staple item, is produced by none other than Paula Deen's own food company. These are probably the best tortilla chips I ever tried.  Made from all natural ingredients, I would highly recommend these chips, but I fear these chips came from the confiscation of products from store shelves after Deen's recent demise, then filtered through the Northeast Georgia Food Bank down to the community kitchen.

Furthermore, this product is made in Mexico.  According to the label, they are also produced in a "nut free" environment.  Go figure... that's what they always say! 

Bottom line, just be aware... if you use the "N" word the Brothers win all the chips!  As for the Latinos... I guess they just lost a lot of business and have learned that the "N" really stands for NUTTY!

...

Isn't it time to make life just a little bit easier?
http://gabenewmanblahgs.blogspot.com/2013/06/phone-home-after-discovering-that-full.html

FRIEND me on Facebook, yo?
https://www.facebook.com/newman.gabe




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Films, Motion Pictures & MOVIES!

Immediately, by my use of the term "movies", you know I am not a Film Snob.  I also did not grow up in the era before "movies".  Even as I write this, Blogger is questioning my use of the term by underlining it with a red squiggly line, but that's what I call them, movies!  So, sue me if you don't like it. People used to only see celebrities in still shots printed in magazines before the age of television.  Then, they would go see them at the "movie theater", after hearing about it on the radio.  Nobody ever called them Film Theatres, did they?  The word "film" is really a description of the medium by which we are enabled to view "movies" rather than it being a description of the experience of watching still pictures transformed into motion.  So, I'm sticking with "movies", but I am not opposed to calling them motion pictures.  For the "purists" out there that insist on using the word "film...

Irma

Well folks, I made it to the stage for Rabbit Box at the Foundry on Wednesday night! What a great experience that was after dreading it for the month prior. I started by telling them that it was just another dose of public humiliation... and I started off with a laugh I didn't know I was going to get! It ended well too landing on exactly eight minutes with a CHEER for an announcement I had made as to success after failure! Much of life is made of hope and disappointment, but it is also made up of fear and relief. Kinda like what happened with Irma when Harvey had already caused the damage in Houston, Irma suddenly appeared with two others Jose and Katia! For a minute there it seemed like we were doomed! Katia hit Mexico and has dissipated to a tropical storm with 40 a mile winds while Jose drifted back out to sea, but is not setting its sites on the same Caribbean islands that have just suffered Irmas wrath. Buckle your seat belts people! This is shaping up to be a very intens...

STEM STEAM

Over the last ten years, I've met and gotten to know several students at UGA. Some of you have become parents since I met you in your earliest adulthood. Some of you will become parents. As such, and whichever the case may be, you might want to follow this educational development as the years progress. Arts & Sciences, to me, represent an historically neglected symbiotic relationship. In fact, much time has been spent trying to separate the two, as we also do with politic s and religion. Our nation was founded on such a symbiotic relationship, and while one side aims to separate the two, the other side wants to force feed one to the other. The key is in balance, whether it is between Arts & Sciences, or Politics & Religion... one thing our earliest leaders were about was tolerance to those of varying opinions (predominantly Christian, but not necessarily) and who come not to cause physical harm from their differences. Some these days argue it is harmful to offen...