Skip to main content

Playboy

So, why no more nudes...
"The magazine is profitable if money from licensed editions around the world is taken into account, Mr. Flanders said, but the United States edition loses about $3 million a year. He sees it, he said, as a marketing expense. “It is our Fifth Avenue storefront,” he said"
So, why no more nudes... I can really only speculate, besides it just being passe, it will probably allow them to expand their reach.  Having once circulated around 5 million copies, now circulating fewer than a million copies, dropping the nudity will make it more acceptable, perhaps building the print audience rather than letting it continue to dwindle.  This is really more of a possibility, than it is a reason why, but it was not cited in this article.

Furthermore, locally, the Atlanta Journal Constitution experienced the same thing in terms of a loss in print readership, as did every newspaper in the country. They just don't print as many papers as they once did. What Playboy has explicitly recognized is that the print publication is a driver mechanism that drives traffic online. I'm not sure the papers recognized that after developing their websites, but it is still more, or less true for them.
There may come a day when there aren't any printed pubs, or brick and mortar stores as the fatalists projected in the beginning. I said they were wrong suggesting there is a union between the physical and virtual worlds, and this supports that thinking. It's a marriage, not a divorce.
So, for all the tech gods out there that predicted the end of the world, the physical world, so to speak... they're still wrong. There is balance.
Small businesses should take heed to this, and so should our government. It is not an either, or situation. If you want to apply for government benefits, you should be able to do it online, or on paper in the office. If you want to apply for a job, you should be able to do that in person, at the very location your applying for a position. Don't send people away to go use a computer when they're standing right in front of you. Hand them a paper application right there, and get a scanner if you want to digitize it.
Bottom line... stop the madness of bi-polar disorder that seems to plague the land. It's really just that simple, The magazine simply revealed, it is nothing more than a tease.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Films, Motion Pictures & MOVIES!

Immediately, by my use of the term "movies", you know I am not a Film Snob.  I also did not grow up in the era before "movies".  Even as I write this, Blogger is questioning my use of the term by underlining it with a red squiggly line, but that's what I call them, movies!  So, sue me if you don't like it. People used to only see celebrities in still shots printed in magazines before the age of television.  Then, they would go see them at the "movie theater", after hearing about it on the radio.  Nobody ever called them Film Theatres, did they?  The word "film" is really a description of the medium by which we are enabled to view "movies" rather than it being a description of the experience of watching still pictures transformed into motion.  So, I'm sticking with "movies", but I am not opposed to calling them motion pictures.  For the "purists" out there that insist on using the word "film...

Irma

Well folks, I made it to the stage for Rabbit Box at the Foundry on Wednesday night! What a great experience that was after dreading it for the month prior. I started by telling them that it was just another dose of public humiliation... and I started off with a laugh I didn't know I was going to get! It ended well too landing on exactly eight minutes with a CHEER for an announcement I had made as to success after failure! Much of life is made of hope and disappointment, but it is also made up of fear and relief. Kinda like what happened with Irma when Harvey had already caused the damage in Houston, Irma suddenly appeared with two others Jose and Katia! For a minute there it seemed like we were doomed! Katia hit Mexico and has dissipated to a tropical storm with 40 a mile winds while Jose drifted back out to sea, but is not setting its sites on the same Caribbean islands that have just suffered Irmas wrath. Buckle your seat belts people! This is shaping up to be a very intens...

STEM STEAM

Over the last ten years, I've met and gotten to know several students at UGA. Some of you have become parents since I met you in your earliest adulthood. Some of you will become parents. As such, and whichever the case may be, you might want to follow this educational development as the years progress. Arts & Sciences, to me, represent an historically neglected symbiotic relationship. In fact, much time has been spent trying to separate the two, as we also do with politic s and religion. Our nation was founded on such a symbiotic relationship, and while one side aims to separate the two, the other side wants to force feed one to the other. The key is in balance, whether it is between Arts & Sciences, or Politics & Religion... one thing our earliest leaders were about was tolerance to those of varying opinions (predominantly Christian, but not necessarily) and who come not to cause physical harm from their differences. Some these days argue it is harmful to offen...