Skip to main content

Trashy

I posed the question to any comers on a note left in an office environment to which I received one reply from an undergrad at UGA.  The question was, "Can you have capitalism without waste and poverty?"  Her answer, though lengthy, simply stated that waste and poverty had always existed alongside capitalism.  Therefore, they will continue to do so.

I beg to differ, and this guy apparently agrees.  This article does not address the issue of poverty, but trash is a form of poverty as it relates to goods.  The unusable portion of a product, either as a by product, or in it's packaging is waste.  Not to mention the huge percentage of usable product just dumped in the trash each day from people eating at restaurants, or people who refuse to eat left-overs, and such.  This wasteful mindset is BIG part of the problem that is often accepted as normal.

If normal is to be wasteful, so be it.  Nobody is perfect, but when you read statistics indicating Americans throw over 40% of their food away, we must confess we are very far from perfect and filled with delusions of grandeur as we stomp on the gas pedal and slam on the brakes before stopping at the next red light.

While this new reality show is to "redefine the meaning of trash television", hopefully it will redefine trashy behavior and the need to fight wars over oil we use beyond reason for the lazy lifestyle we have created with this precious blood of the earth we vampirically extract, lackadaisically spew and endlessly defend with military force only to return as addicts for more, more, more.

"about a trash-less future and his goal to "eliminate the concept of waste."

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/trashy-reality-tv-show-focuses-recyclers-050524780.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Films, Motion Pictures & MOVIES!

Immediately, by my use of the term "movies", you know I am not a Film Snob.  I also did not grow up in the era before "movies".  Even as I write this, Blogger is questioning my use of the term by underlining it with a red squiggly line, but that's what I call them, movies!  So, sue me if you don't like it. People used to only see celebrities in still shots printed in magazines before the age of television.  Then, they would go see them at the "movie theater", after hearing about it on the radio.  Nobody ever called them Film Theatres, did they?  The word "film" is really a description of the medium by which we are enabled to view "movies" rather than it being a description of the experience of watching still pictures transformed into motion.  So, I'm sticking with "movies", but I am not opposed to calling them motion pictures.  For the "purists" out there that insist on using the word "film...

Irma

Well folks, I made it to the stage for Rabbit Box at the Foundry on Wednesday night! What a great experience that was after dreading it for the month prior. I started by telling them that it was just another dose of public humiliation... and I started off with a laugh I didn't know I was going to get! It ended well too landing on exactly eight minutes with a CHEER for an announcement I had made as to success after failure! Much of life is made of hope and disappointment, but it is also made up of fear and relief. Kinda like what happened with Irma when Harvey had already caused the damage in Houston, Irma suddenly appeared with two others Jose and Katia! For a minute there it seemed like we were doomed! Katia hit Mexico and has dissipated to a tropical storm with 40 a mile winds while Jose drifted back out to sea, but is not setting its sites on the same Caribbean islands that have just suffered Irmas wrath. Buckle your seat belts people! This is shaping up to be a very intens...

Shake It Off

I quit drinking coffee/caffeine on a regular basis about ten years ago. I found what used to be a regular afternoon need for a siesta (the crash) stopped as well. But, in the last couple of weeks I've been drinking some coffee because it has been readily available and it has been a little chilly, and I made the mistake of drinking coffee in the afternoon. This caused my mind to race into the night making for a restless night of tossing and turning, Not only that, I had a song stuck in my head... which is not altogether uncommon, but I don't listen to radio; I'm media deprived, and I had not idea who Taylor Swift is, or this song called Shake It Off that sounded like a young Michael Jackson record, but NEW! You never know what it's going to be. Usually, without apparent reason, they just pop up. Like, the other morning when I woke up with the theme song from the Broadway musical "Annie" stuck in my head. Why??? I dunno. Last night, as my mind ra...