Skip to main content

Frijoles Refritos Por Favor?


As I made my way from the hotel room where I had just enjoyed ten hours of uninterrupted sleep, I was greeted by housekeeping, an older man and woman, Indian, as evidenced by the Bindi on her forehead.  They were so friendly, but did not speak much English.  The woman approached me requesting the key and that the door be left open.  At least, that's what her hand gestures seemed to indicate.  When I complied she put her hands together in front of her and bowed with thanks.  The man said, "You have good day!".  I returned the blessing and made my way downstairs.

On the previous night when walking to the hotel I noticed there was a new Mexican restaurant that had opened in an old spot that has been several things including a video rental shack, and a Bubble Tea House.  It was about quarter 'til eleven when I was passing by.  I noticed the door was open and people were inside.  As I came to the threshold of the doorway, I leaned in to find there were six or eight women from young to old.  Gran Madre stood directly in front of me, as another women stood to my left next to me at the door.

I greeted the group and said only one word because I remember several words in Spanish, but am not good at forming sentences and can only speak Spanish in the present tense when I do try to form sentences.  I love beans!  There's just something about the way they taste at a Mexican restaurant that you can't get anywhere else.  I'm so glad to see this place called El Zarco on Broad across from the cobble stone street everyone knows.

"Frijoles", I asked with a question mark of inflexion, while I was looking at the apparent matriarch of the group.  "Ohh", she responded which seemed to say she did not speak English.  The woman next to me appeared to be of African decent, but Spanish speaking, interceded in Spanish telling Gran Madre that I wanted beans, to which I added "Refritos".  She understood at that point when my interpreter told me they would be open in about 11 minutes!

I thanked them and went outside to drop my bag and stretch out the morning kinks in the parking lot.  After a few minutes of that, I noticed there was a small table with seating across the lot just a few steps away.  I took a seat at the table.  Not two or three minutes later, the Gran Madre comes walking out with a white plastic sack.  Approaching me, she extends her arm and hands me the sack.  I confirmed it was my beans when my interpreter showed up again telling me they were free!  I was a little confused because I wanted lunch too.  My interpreter told Gran Madre I wanted lunch to which she replied once again with "Ohh".

I began to wonder if she just wanted me to leave having brought the beans in sack very graciously for free!  Finally, it dawned on me, she thinks I'm begging for food!!!  Beyond that, now she also thinks I'm asking for MORE food in the name of Fajitas!!!  In a moment of clarity, I reached in my pocket and showed her my money, "Tengo el dinero", I have the money, I said to her when I began to laugh as did my interpreter.  It was a beautiful life moment especially when you consider most people do not prejudge me as a poor beggar and have a hard time believing I've lived as a street cat for over a decade in Athens, Ga.  Add to that the fact, I had just showered and shaved and even washed my hair.  The only indicator of my poverty was the backpack I carried, but in this town everyone carries one.

At this point, the waitress came to take my order, bringing chips and salsa as is typical of a Mexican restaurant.  The Fajitas were on the way!  As I waited, my phone rang.  It was my Dad.  I was telling him about what just happened and we were both laughing about it when three woman including my interpreter came to the table with smiles on their faces giving me grips of the friendship we had just formed.  They began laughing with us when my Dad, listening in hearing the commotion and laughter asked where I was.  I said, "I'm still here.  We UNITE on BEANS!  That's my interpreter and her friends.  I'm hanging out with three woman from Panama, right now", I joked as they were telling me good bye.

He just laughed!  My son, the one who lives on the streets, who once won a costume contest as a child dressed as a Hobo!  An urban dwelling Hobo, who is usually clean shaven and fairly well mannered, the guy that picks up empty zip lock bags on the streets thrown down on the ground by other street people with the same childhood hand to mouth disorder, where you take what's in the wrapper, eat it, and then just leave the wrapper behind, on the ground.  My Dad must have been thinking along these lines about the character I am.  Just another Spaghetti Head that thankfully had the mess unravelled!

One thing I can say for myself, is I'm not a slob, but most street people are.  See, I grew up on the Golf course.  Golf is a game of etiquette, and etiquette is a part of life you learn as a child because if you don't, you just won't.  Golf is a dignified game as the Master's is going on right now, just about ninety minutes away by car, it breeds manners, etiquette, dignity and certain humility for most.

So, on this my 39th birthday, again, I am thankful for being exposed to Golf throughout my youth because it helped shape my character.  Even if you can't be a professional player, you can Master dignity and etiquette from the same game the pros are playing at this very moment!

So, I began my day with a language barrier that could not mask the loving spirit being reciprocated between me and the Indian couple who greeted me as I left my room.  It continued with Gran Madre just a five minute walk away!  One of the sweetest gestures of mistaken identity I think I've ever experienced having been prejudged for most of my life in the positive.  It was beautiful!  She judged correctly in that I live on the streets, but incorrectly in that I was asking for a hand out.  A leg up would be nice, but never a hand out!  As a member of the working poor, I can attest working doesn't pay the rent, but it gives me something to do.

Of course, I like to say, I could take all the money I make and put it toward rent and have a place to live, but then I would would have no life.  And, I'd miss moments like these I have been richly blessed with no matter what language you speak!

...

El Zarco

https://www.redandblack.com/athensnews/family-run-restaurant-el-zarco-brings-fresh-mexican-dishes-to/article_56a8b94a-319f-11e9-8abf-3b561450d0f2.html




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Films, Motion Pictures & MOVIES!

Immediately, by my use of the term "movies", you know I am not a Film Snob.  I also did not grow up in the era before "movies".  Even as I write this, Blogger is questioning my use of the term by underlining it with a red squiggly line, but that's what I call them, movies!  So, sue me if you don't like it. People used to only see celebrities in still shots printed in magazines before the age of television.  Then, they would go see them at the "movie theater", after hearing about it on the radio.  Nobody ever called them Film Theatres, did they?  The word "film" is really a description of the medium by which we are enabled to view "movies" rather than it being a description of the experience of watching still pictures transformed into motion.  So, I'm sticking with "movies", but I am not opposed to calling them motion pictures.  For the "purists" out there that insist on using the word "film&qu

Stacey Dash On "Why I Say What I Say"

Why I Say What I Say, Even Though I Drive Whoopi, BET, and Most Other Black People Crazy ... After reading the article above, here are my thoughts... Stacey Dash drives me crazy, and I'm not even BLACK!  She having grown up in the South Bronx, having voted for Obama in 2008, and now a right wing representative of the most extreme kind, I agree with her much of the time, but she sticks to the script when she knows it is WRONG.  I'm not really disagreeing with this current post, except in terms of the way Republicans always attack social programs when working on the budget before they attack our inflated military budget.  I'm all for a strong defense.  I'm not a pacifist in that way, but we don't spend the money on our weapons program for the people of this country as much as we spend it for the people making money off it.  Sure, we need reforms in the welfare system, but not cuts, at least not yet. I can't argue with anything Stacey Dash has said in this art

Wrong About Irene

Well, as Irene continues its way up the eastern seaboard, Georgia has been spared from any devastation although it was very humid today; that’s not devastating.  That’s par for the course in Georgia.  At least, that has been par for the course most of the time I have lived in this beautiful state.  Yet, the previous ten years have been moderate in terms of the humidity factor.  So, this recent humidic return in the last couple of years has restored and reminded us of the fact that this beautiful state, as lush and green as it is, is right next door to Florida, the arm pit of the South.  And Irene brought a piece of Florida with her and left in Georgia.  A soggy statement that can only stimulate thanksgiving. My first year of college, I was seeing this girl who had to write a paper on the topic of “The Optimism of Pessimism”.  I suppose, I am writing the same paper write now, only I won’t receive a grade. She said to me, ‘I received a topic for a paper today and I’m