Skip to main content

Dirty Shirley

A couple of women and a man sat talking on the sofa behind me.  I couldn't hear what they were saying, but one of the women really liked to laugh a lot, and heartily.  You know the kind... it's as if they just got high for the first time and you laugh at everything, except she wasn't high, but on life and maybe a couple of drinks.

The man had to leave and as he was getting up to go in walks a guy with a dog.  The pair were fairly regular in this dog friendly bar where sometimes they gather in groups and play together, yet without any dog fights, only play fighting and wrestling.  It really is awesome to see dogs interact with each other.  The same thing holds true for them as it does for humans.  The big dog will assert his dominance, except with humans it's not always the biggest dog that is dominant.  Our current form of survival of the fittest has nothing to do with brawn.

It's the guy armed with technology and money making the system rely upon him.  According to a Google search, Mark Zukerberg is just 5" 7', and Bill Gates isn't even six feet tall at 5" 10'.  While I do not subscribe to the idea that white people are superior, one thing they seem to be superior at is arming themselves with technologically advanced weaponry, even if it is the Internet, which can work for and against you.  But, in business, all news is good news as long as they're talking about you.

Technology is one thing that separates us from the animals.  One other thing is manners.  No dog, or cat ever invented anything remotely close to the Internet, and they certainly never say thank you after a meal, unless you count that lick in the face as a thank you, which it is, but without the formation of words.  Barks, and growls and meows might be a form of language, but they aren't words like we have as humans.

The bartender was telling me about the night before where there had been a party.  She was saying that the night went well, and that even though the crowd got a little drunk, she tolerated the behavior as they had arranged to use the place and they were putting money in her jar.  She said, "Yeah, everything was fine, but I knew things were getting out of control when they would come up to the bar asking for a Dirty Shirley while knocking over my tip jar!"

The laughter of the two women remaining on the sofa behind me overheard the comment about the Dirty Shirley and began to laugh out loud!  I had never heard of a Dirty Shirley...

I had a container of Broccoli Cranberry Cole Slaw sitting in front of me.  It had been in the cooler for a couple of days and it needed to be thrown out as it was turning brown.  The woman with the great sense of humor got up from the sofa wearing a very short skirt, and came over to me asking first about the container of food, "What is that... Orzo?"

I said, "No, it's Broccoli Cranberry"  "Oh", she said, "I thought it was Orzohhhh"!!!  I looked at here kinda funny as to why she had decided to extend the pronunciation from Orzo to Orzohhhh, when I realized what was going on.  Fido had decided to examine the surroundings and all of its inhabitants, as dogs are wont to do when he stuck his snout up the back side of the laughing woman's skirt to identify her gender and species, exactly in supreme spot of identification!  Fido had found the Orzo!!!  Why dogs can follow hand commands, but can't judge gender on sight, I don't know, but that's life... a dog's life to be sure!

With the exclamation, I looked down and saw Fido removing his nose from the bottom of her skirt!  I couldn't help but laugh and as I did, I said, "Well... now I know what a Dirty Shirley is!"  The woman laughed from her deepest interior as I continued to do myself as others around us joined in the joyous chorus of laughter!

Realizing this could quickly turn from funny to embarrassing, I decided to call the dog Shirley and told him to go away and keep his nose to himself.  The recipient of the friendly greeting continued to laugh as she gave me a high-five and conversations returned where they were.

It just goes to show one more thing that separates us from the animals is a Dirty Shirley which predates the Internet, Mark Zukerberg, and Bill Gates!!  They're both taller than a dog but in this case, the dog was the perfect height!

Cheers & Bottoms Up... I mean, ORZOHHH!




Go DAWGS!!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Films, Motion Pictures & MOVIES!

Immediately, by my use of the term "movies", you know I am not a Film Snob.  I also did not grow up in the era before "movies".  Even as I write this, Blogger is questioning my use of the term by underlining it with a red squiggly line, but that's what I call them, movies!  So, sue me if you don't like it. People used to only see celebrities in still shots printed in magazines before the age of television.  Then, they would go see them at the "movie theater", after hearing about it on the radio.  Nobody ever called them Film Theatres, did they?  The word "film" is really a description of the medium by which we are enabled to view "movies" rather than it being a description of the experience of watching still pictures transformed into motion.  So, I'm sticking with "movies", but I am not opposed to calling them motion pictures.  For the "purists" out there that insist on using the word "film&qu

Stacey Dash On "Why I Say What I Say"

Why I Say What I Say, Even Though I Drive Whoopi, BET, and Most Other Black People Crazy ... After reading the article above, here are my thoughts... Stacey Dash drives me crazy, and I'm not even BLACK!  She having grown up in the South Bronx, having voted for Obama in 2008, and now a right wing representative of the most extreme kind, I agree with her much of the time, but she sticks to the script when she knows it is WRONG.  I'm not really disagreeing with this current post, except in terms of the way Republicans always attack social programs when working on the budget before they attack our inflated military budget.  I'm all for a strong defense.  I'm not a pacifist in that way, but we don't spend the money on our weapons program for the people of this country as much as we spend it for the people making money off it.  Sure, we need reforms in the welfare system, but not cuts, at least not yet. I can't argue with anything Stacey Dash has said in this art

Wrong About Irene

Well, as Irene continues its way up the eastern seaboard, Georgia has been spared from any devastation although it was very humid today; that’s not devastating.  That’s par for the course in Georgia.  At least, that has been par for the course most of the time I have lived in this beautiful state.  Yet, the previous ten years have been moderate in terms of the humidity factor.  So, this recent humidic return in the last couple of years has restored and reminded us of the fact that this beautiful state, as lush and green as it is, is right next door to Florida, the arm pit of the South.  And Irene brought a piece of Florida with her and left in Georgia.  A soggy statement that can only stimulate thanksgiving. My first year of college, I was seeing this girl who had to write a paper on the topic of “The Optimism of Pessimism”.  I suppose, I am writing the same paper write now, only I won’t receive a grade. She said to me, ‘I received a topic for a paper today and I’m