Skip to main content

Obama Phone

Dear President Obama,

It is now 2016.  The next election is just a few days away, and your final term in office will conclude soon as well.  In 2008, I had a dream.  I dreamt I was in the Rose Garden having a conversation with you when you reached inside your coat pocket and gave me your cell phone telling me to call you.  I started to call you, but then I realized I had your cell phone.  So, how could I possibly call you if I had your phone?  I called the switchboard instead, and then I woke up.

I woke up in 2008 to a life on the streets of Athens, GA.  This is ironic since I never imagined myself living on the streets, homeless, unemployed and somewhat hopeless; and after growing up on the Golf course in a middle class American lifestyle.  After three years on the streets, I finally got a job in 2011 where I remained until 2014.  Then, I became homeless again after serving six months in jail.  In the time since then, I have had three different government issued phones regardless of who actually started the program, you are the one most frequently referenced in association with the program, and it was certainly during your terms in office that the program gained traction.

My time on the streets has taught me several things.  Never take for granted the things you have. They could all disappear in an instant.  So, when the free market seemed to have the cards stacked against me, I became a recipient of a government issued phone.  I have yet to find a girlfriend by having this benefit, but I did find another job, and that's what I wanted to tell you.

While the Affordable Care Act is hardly the single-payer system you aimed for in your original campaign, you are credited with it, commonly known as Obamacare.  While conservatives, of whom I was born, complain about the ACA on the surface, they are probably laughing all the way to the bank as many profit by the insurance industry.  So, the facade of disagreement does not fool me.  If they were honest, they would applaud the ACA, except that it is a mandate to buy something.  In this case, health insurance.  Thank goodness there wasn't a mandate for everyone to buy a cell phone.  If so, I might not have gotten the job I recently got.

I tell people all the time regarding different things, it's all in the way that you use it.  Like guns, guns don't kill people; people do.  Cell phones won't get you a job either, but if you use it properly one can.  Or, it could just find you your next hook up.  In my case, I went for the job.

While I am still homeless and I stay in the shelter for my third year straight, I wanted to offer my applause for the government issued cell phone program.  It's all in the way you use it.  Like guns, like alcohol, like drugs even... like social media, like your car, like life itself.  Should we mandate life?  That's impossible.  It is our gift, just like a government issued cell phone, except as human beings we are the users of tools.  In this case, the cell phone being the tool I used to secure this new job.

While I don't make the money I used to, I'm making more than I was just a short time ago, which wasn't a penny.  So, I hope this comes as a welcomed announcement.  I did not vote for you, and for that matter I didn't even vote.  I am quite skeptical of our political system, finding it mired in compromise and a high level of bullsh*t, believing often the framers actually meant, We The People who wrote these documents, instead of the masses it is framed to represent.  However, the cell phone program breathes new life into the idea that taxpayer dollars can actually lift people up, but it's in the way that we use them.

With our freedom is included the human capacity for irresponsible behavior, but at least we are given a shot with a program like this.  These days, if you don't have a cell phone, you're behind the eight ball.  If you're without a car, you're really behind the eight ball.  Do you think you could come up with a program that gives cars to the people trying to climb this modern ladder?  I doubt that very seriously, but perhaps a cell phone will get someone a job that will eventually lead to enough income to get a car for one's self.  It is a good program, and I know it is abused by recipients, but that's the risk we take in offering programs like this.  Just as food stamps are abused by being sold, cell phones can also be abused, but I just wanted you to know, "this guy" used it for what the purpose it was intended.

Lifeline might not consider me a great customer because I've never purchased additional minutes.  That's because I seldom use it unless it's something important and not for chit-chat.  Therefore, I've never run out of minutes, I don't think, except maybe once, and that was one day before getting a refreshed set of minutes.  This country still does offer opportunities and while they might go squandered by many that's not the fault of the program.  It's the fault of the recipients.

I've spent enough time in jail to know that when one does wrong the entire group is punished.  As unfair, and unjust as that may be (and it is) it is the way it works.  So, if this program does disappear, then I'm glad it was there when it was.  I really couldn't have gotten things done without it, kinda like that cell phone you lent me in that dream.  It didn't exist, and I never got through to you, but the receptionist thought it was funny!


Sincerely,

Gabe Newman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Films, Motion Pictures & MOVIES!

Immediately, by my use of the term "movies", you know I am not a Film Snob.  I also did not grow up in the era before "movies".  Even as I write this, Blogger is questioning my use of the term by underlining it with a red squiggly line, but that's what I call them, movies!  So, sue me if you don't like it. People used to only see celebrities in still shots printed in magazines before the age of television.  Then, they would go see them at the "movie theater", after hearing about it on the radio.  Nobody ever called them Film Theatres, did they?  The word "film" is really a description of the medium by which we are enabled to view "movies" rather than it being a description of the experience of watching still pictures transformed into motion.  So, I'm sticking with "movies", but I am not opposed to calling them motion pictures.  For the "purists" out there that insist on using the word "film&qu

Stacey Dash On "Why I Say What I Say"

Why I Say What I Say, Even Though I Drive Whoopi, BET, and Most Other Black People Crazy ... After reading the article above, here are my thoughts... Stacey Dash drives me crazy, and I'm not even BLACK!  She having grown up in the South Bronx, having voted for Obama in 2008, and now a right wing representative of the most extreme kind, I agree with her much of the time, but she sticks to the script when she knows it is WRONG.  I'm not really disagreeing with this current post, except in terms of the way Republicans always attack social programs when working on the budget before they attack our inflated military budget.  I'm all for a strong defense.  I'm not a pacifist in that way, but we don't spend the money on our weapons program for the people of this country as much as we spend it for the people making money off it.  Sure, we need reforms in the welfare system, but not cuts, at least not yet. I can't argue with anything Stacey Dash has said in this art

Wrong About Irene

Well, as Irene continues its way up the eastern seaboard, Georgia has been spared from any devastation although it was very humid today; that’s not devastating.  That’s par for the course in Georgia.  At least, that has been par for the course most of the time I have lived in this beautiful state.  Yet, the previous ten years have been moderate in terms of the humidity factor.  So, this recent humidic return in the last couple of years has restored and reminded us of the fact that this beautiful state, as lush and green as it is, is right next door to Florida, the arm pit of the South.  And Irene brought a piece of Florida with her and left in Georgia.  A soggy statement that can only stimulate thanksgiving. My first year of college, I was seeing this girl who had to write a paper on the topic of “The Optimism of Pessimism”.  I suppose, I am writing the same paper write now, only I won’t receive a grade. She said to me, ‘I received a topic for a paper today and I’m