Skip to main content

Irma

Well folks, I made it to the stage for Rabbit Box at the Foundry on Wednesday night! What a great experience that was after dreading it for the month prior. I started by telling them that it was just another dose of public humiliation... and I started off with a laugh I didn't know I was going to get! It ended well too landing on exactly eight minutes with a CHEER for an announcement I had made as to success after failure!

Much of life is made of hope and disappointment, but it is also made up of fear and relief. Kinda like what happened with Irma when Harvey had already caused the damage in Houston, Irma suddenly appeared with two others Jose and Katia! For a minute there it seemed like we were doomed! Katia hit Mexico and has dissipated to a tropical storm with 40 a mile winds while Jose drifted back out to sea, but is not setting its sites on the same Caribbean islands that have just suffered Irmas wrath. Buckle your seat belts people! This is shaping up to be a very intense hurricane season!

Irma made her mark in Athens. A tree fell on what was my bedroom! Fortunately, I wasn't there. See, I have been living in a cabin in the woods since February of this year. The first thing I recognized when I took occupancy was that the place was surrounded by trees. So, with this storm brewing Tuesday night through Wednesday morning, I found some place else to stay for fear that trees would be falling. Was I ever right??? Right on my bedroom to be exact! I took it as a sign, it was time to move along. Plus, it's going to take several weeks to remedy the situation. So, I've been staying with a friend. 

Coincidentally, right after I received a phone call notifying me that the tree had fallen on my bedroom, I had to suspend disbelief for a moment... When I did, a few moments later, and strangely coincidentally, my phone rang again. Only this time, it was the Bigger Vision Winter Shelter where I spent the last three years out of the cold. They wanted to talk to me about some things and my situation.

I asked Andrew, the Director, if he knew my current situation and what had just happened. He said, "No. What's going on?" I said, "A tree just fell on my bedroom where I've been staying since February". Anyway, I asked when he would be there and we agreed to meet the next morning. When we did, we discussed several options. I had called him a couple of weeks ago looking for extra work as part of the staff this time. He presented me with three different options and I'm right now trying to decide what's going to work best! From fear, to relief, just like getting up there the other night and telling my story of the street life I've lived in Athens, Ga for much of the last decade.

So, when I had told my brief story of the fact that I had grown up pretty much in the country and had spent a lot of time in the woods, only that it was at the country club, and much of my time in the woods was spent looking for golf balls... to then find myself on the streets of Athens, GA, regardless of how, or why I got there... it drew a start contrast and left a question mark in their minds. See, I've been told more than once I don't look like a homeless person, and that's probably because I don't. I know this because to this day, I still have street people who ask me for money. After years of living in the same boat, eating at the same soup kitchen, there is one particular street person, a black woman in fact, who almost never fails to ask me for money. I've gotten to the point where I just act like I don't hear her, but I'm pretty sure she thinks all white people look alike!

She's a crack head anyway, as most people on the streets who ask for money are just trying to fund their fixes. My advice, knowing full well you cannot starve in this town from a lack of food unless you're just so damned lazy to walk a couple of blocks to the soup kitchen twice a day. Beyond that, the guys sitting there holding signs get so much food given to them, they don't have to walk! But, your kind provision just enables the "ugliness of Irma" to stain the streets of downtown Athens. When even hurricanes go away, beggars remain. Don't give to panhandlers, and that's coming from a street person! I just never asked anybody for a dime. Give it to a street performer instead, and if you want a cool bracelet from a bicycle spoke, give me a call!


Where one tree has fallen, another one grows! Thanks to places like Bigger Vision, and the Northeast Georgia food bank, the poor, and even the working poor are enabled to maintain a level of dignity without making it necessary to beg. The beggars on these streets represent the same level of BS that we get out of DC on a daily basis. They're just not wearing suits and ties. Certainly, BS is part of politics and even life. It is clear. It's just that we should seek to minimize it instead of maximizing it.

Even Bernie knows $15 an hour as the minimum wage will only create a reaction in the market through automation, or higher prices and it wouldn't make a difference. One study indicated people actually lost income because of reduced hours. It's just something people like to hear and it gets votes. The problem is apparent that prices have so far outpaced wages a person can't make it on forty hours a week in an era where employers only want to give you thirty hours a week. It requires two different jobs in order to begin to make ends meet. We must aim higher as individuals before we demand the market pay us what it won't at a minimum.

As a minimalist, I'm not complaining too much about having to work without being able to afford the lavish lifestyle of a Trump. But, because of this fact, we have resources that do enable people to survive without the act of begging.

See you next time at Rabbit Box! https://rabbitbox.org/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Films, Motion Pictures & MOVIES!

Immediately, by my use of the term "movies", you know I am not a Film Snob.  I also did not grow up in the era before "movies".  Even as I write this, Blogger is questioning my use of the term by underlining it with a red squiggly line, but that's what I call them, movies!  So, sue me if you don't like it. People used to only see celebrities in still shots printed in magazines before the age of television.  Then, they would go see them at the "movie theater", after hearing about it on the radio.  Nobody ever called them Film Theatres, did they?  The word "film" is really a description of the medium by which we are enabled to view "movies" rather than it being a description of the experience of watching still pictures transformed into motion.  So, I'm sticking with "movies", but I am not opposed to calling them motion pictures.  For the "purists" out there that insist on using the word "film&qu

Stacey Dash On "Why I Say What I Say"

Why I Say What I Say, Even Though I Drive Whoopi, BET, and Most Other Black People Crazy ... After reading the article above, here are my thoughts... Stacey Dash drives me crazy, and I'm not even BLACK!  She having grown up in the South Bronx, having voted for Obama in 2008, and now a right wing representative of the most extreme kind, I agree with her much of the time, but she sticks to the script when she knows it is WRONG.  I'm not really disagreeing with this current post, except in terms of the way Republicans always attack social programs when working on the budget before they attack our inflated military budget.  I'm all for a strong defense.  I'm not a pacifist in that way, but we don't spend the money on our weapons program for the people of this country as much as we spend it for the people making money off it.  Sure, we need reforms in the welfare system, but not cuts, at least not yet. I can't argue with anything Stacey Dash has said in this art

Wrong About Irene

Well, as Irene continues its way up the eastern seaboard, Georgia has been spared from any devastation although it was very humid today; that’s not devastating.  That’s par for the course in Georgia.  At least, that has been par for the course most of the time I have lived in this beautiful state.  Yet, the previous ten years have been moderate in terms of the humidity factor.  So, this recent humidic return in the last couple of years has restored and reminded us of the fact that this beautiful state, as lush and green as it is, is right next door to Florida, the arm pit of the South.  And Irene brought a piece of Florida with her and left in Georgia.  A soggy statement that can only stimulate thanksgiving. My first year of college, I was seeing this girl who had to write a paper on the topic of “The Optimism of Pessimism”.  I suppose, I am writing the same paper write now, only I won’t receive a grade. She said to me, ‘I received a topic for a paper today and I’m