Skip to main content

Seeking Shelter

Every now and then, I feel like leaving this town, Athens, GA.  Then, I remind myself, wherever I go I'm still homeless, even though I've convinced myself I'm home wherever I am...

As recently as last week, Thanksgiving, I was again facing the same feeling.  After all the job leads from New York and New Jersey, and all the other things like Playboy models who once subscribed to my BLAHG years ago, when I started it, I thought about running away and chasing those glimmers of hope.

After my first two subscribers were Playboy models, I seriously considered going to Pacific Palisades, on a shoe string and without a hedonist bone in my body!  The sign on the gate apparently said something like, "If you're not into swingin', then don't come a ringin'".  That just grosses me out.  It was at that point I decided I could never be a Hugh Hefner.  Call me whatever you want, but I'm not ringin' on that gate.

So, ever since then, I've lived on the streets.  I've even met some women of Playboy caliber, but I've also spent the last several years sleeping in the homeless shelter where there aren't any women of that caliber.  Makes you re-consider the whole 'swingin'n & ringin'' concept... Barf!

I'm just not a macho man, I guess.  Some would say, not much of a man.   That's ok.  I don't want to be a macho man anyway.  I'm good with me like I am.

But, as I said, every now and then I feel like leaving this town, and then I face reality.  On Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, I was feeling a little low, but not like it used to be.  The Holidays are my least favorite time of year, and always have been, but I don't go into a dark dungeon in my mind any more.  I just get a little low because I don't talk to certain people I would like to and things aren't exactly how I would like for them to be.  Who can say differently, really?  It's just that I'm part of that 1/2 of 1% of the population that happens to be homeless.  Yet, I still hope for better days that just never seem to come.

This time, for whatever reason, I decided to investigate what the homeless situation is in the Florida Keys.  I hate Florida.  I hate the beach.  I hate the humidity, but it is cold outside and getting colder this time of year in Georgia.  This can make you long for warmer weather.

Upon searching out the Keys, I found a picture of the Homeless Shelter in Key West.  It appears below.                                                   

According to the article I found in the Miami Herald, by Gwen Filosa, "The Keys Overnight Temporary Shelter takes in about 100 people per night at 5537 College Road".

Apparently, the shelter is a bone of contention in the local community with an ongoing debate as to where to relocate it.

Looking at this picture makes me want to relocate elsewhere even before taking a step in that generally southern direction from Athens, GA.  For comparison, he is a photo of the local Bigger Vision Winter shelter here in Athens, GA.

As you will note, each bunk is a free standing unit, instead of several jailhouse like mattress pads on a wooden platform in what looks like a simple metal building that I somehow doubt is Hurrican proof!  The Bigger Vision shelter even includes a book case.

The space you see is a quiet space, to be treated as a library; not a place for loud, or ongoing conversations.  There is a separate area for those who want 

to talk, though that policy must be reinforced on a regular basis.  Generally, speaking it is a Quiet Zone.  If you live on the streets one of the first things you learn is the leaf blowers start at 4am.  It is a very noisy small town.  It makes you wonder why all these petroleum devices are often so noisy, though automobiles have made great strides in recent years in quieting things down.  Now, that electric and hybrid vehicles are on the streets that barely make any sound, it has really made a dramatic difference, but the leaf blowers are still obscenely noisy beginning at 4am.  I hope I see the day when noisy makers no longer exist except in cases of calamity, just not in routine order.

That being said, you can see from the picture why I'd rather be in Athens, especially since I don't live in the Playboy Mansion, and I'm not a swinger!  That reminds me of my post from just a couple of days ago too.  When, at the end, I refrained from going further with my top ten list about Being Poor, where I said that poor people like to share their sexual partners, and that ketchup was the bridge between rich and poor, but a sticky road it is to travel.  Hey, there's another thing rich and poor have in common.  Often times, they both like to share sex partners!

Read "Being Poor" Here:


https://gabenewmanblahgs.blogspot.com/2018/11/being-poor.html

Once again, I have reached the point of enough being said.  And, while my search for shelter is a daily occurrence, especially in the colder months when sleeping outside can be intolerable depending on the time of year, neither of these places looks like this place.






When it's all said and done with, I've stuck around this town for as long as I have to have gained my mental health.  I've walked over thirty thousand miles either working, or just trying to survive.  Street Life, like suburban, is a run around, you've probably heard me say... Only it's without a car!  If you have standards like mine, your selection is limited to say the least, if you're looking for a comparable partner.  And, taking a comfortable nap is just about out of the question.  So, sleep becomes quite a treasure.  Having spent the majority of my life, until I turned 39... being duped by people who use Jesus name to justify every outrageous thing they do in the pursuit of happiness and material possessions, one thing is for sure, I really don't think they get too much sleep here anyway.

That's the trade off I've made, sleep over sex!  I mean, it's not like I'm a virgin.  I'm just damned tired!

Thank you Bigger Vision!

Dolly 2020
When We See Clearly

https://gabenewmanblahgs.blogspot.com/2016/11/dolly-2020.html 



 







 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Films, Motion Pictures & MOVIES!

Immediately, by my use of the term "movies", you know I am not a Film Snob.  I also did not grow up in the era before "movies".  Even as I write this, Blogger is questioning my use of the term by underlining it with a red squiggly line, but that's what I call them, movies!  So, sue me if you don't like it. People used to only see celebrities in still shots printed in magazines before the age of television.  Then, they would go see them at the "movie theater", after hearing about it on the radio.  Nobody ever called them Film Theatres, did they?  The word "film" is really a description of the medium by which we are enabled to view "movies" rather than it being a description of the experience of watching still pictures transformed into motion.  So, I'm sticking with "movies", but I am not opposed to calling them motion pictures.  For the "purists" out there that insist on using the word "film&qu

Stacey Dash On "Why I Say What I Say"

Why I Say What I Say, Even Though I Drive Whoopi, BET, and Most Other Black People Crazy ... After reading the article above, here are my thoughts... Stacey Dash drives me crazy, and I'm not even BLACK!  She having grown up in the South Bronx, having voted for Obama in 2008, and now a right wing representative of the most extreme kind, I agree with her much of the time, but she sticks to the script when she knows it is WRONG.  I'm not really disagreeing with this current post, except in terms of the way Republicans always attack social programs when working on the budget before they attack our inflated military budget.  I'm all for a strong defense.  I'm not a pacifist in that way, but we don't spend the money on our weapons program for the people of this country as much as we spend it for the people making money off it.  Sure, we need reforms in the welfare system, but not cuts, at least not yet. I can't argue with anything Stacey Dash has said in this art

Wrong About Irene

Well, as Irene continues its way up the eastern seaboard, Georgia has been spared from any devastation although it was very humid today; that’s not devastating.  That’s par for the course in Georgia.  At least, that has been par for the course most of the time I have lived in this beautiful state.  Yet, the previous ten years have been moderate in terms of the humidity factor.  So, this recent humidic return in the last couple of years has restored and reminded us of the fact that this beautiful state, as lush and green as it is, is right next door to Florida, the arm pit of the South.  And Irene brought a piece of Florida with her and left in Georgia.  A soggy statement that can only stimulate thanksgiving. My first year of college, I was seeing this girl who had to write a paper on the topic of “The Optimism of Pessimism”.  I suppose, I am writing the same paper write now, only I won’t receive a grade. She said to me, ‘I received a topic for a paper today and I’m